Update failed in WSUS
Daniel
2007-08-17 04:08:14 UTC
One of my Win2k3 R2 machine can detect WSUS and detect the updates it
requires but it cannot download and install. In WSUS console, the report for
the machine is update failed. No event was recorded in event viewer. Pls
advise. Thanks

Daniel
Harry Johnston
2007-08-17 04:53:26 UTC
Post by Daniel
One of my Win2k3 R2 machine can detect WSUS and detect the updates it
requires but it cannot download and install. In WSUS console, the report for
the machine is update failed. No event was recorded in event viewer. Pls
advise. Thanks
Look in WindowsUpdate.log (usually in c:\Windows) for more detailed information.
If you can't determine the problem yourself, post the log here.

Harry.
Daniel
2007-08-17 06:26:09 UTC
I can't post the log file here as the file is too huge. But i found the
failed job description "WARNING: Download job failed because of insufficient
range support.". Could this be this problem and what does this means ?
Thanks

2007-08-17 10:00:51:326 1628 3d8 DnldMgr WARNING: Download job failed
because of insufficient range support.
2007-08-17 10:00:51:326 1628 3d8 DnldMgr Error 0x80200011 occurred while
downloading update; notifying dependent calls.

Daniel
Harry.
Harry Johnston
2007-08-17 20:13:30 UTC
Post by Daniel
I can't post the log file here as the file is too huge. But i found the
failed job description "WARNING: Download job failed because of insufficient
range support.". Could this be this problem and what does this means ?
Someone else may be more familiar with this exact error message. My best guess
would be that there is a proxy server (possibly embedded in a firewall)
inbetween the client and the WSUS server, and that this proxy server doesn't
fully support the necessary web protocols.

You should also try the client diagnostics tool from here:

<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/wsus/bb466192.aspx>
Harry.
Daniel

Harry.
Harry Johnston
2007-08-18 19:50:20 UTC
Post by Daniel
You might be correct because this is also an ISA server. Any idea on this ?
I've never used ISA so I probably can't be of much help. Is it the current
version with all the appropriate updates?

Perhaps there is some way you can either configure ISA to allow direct access to
the WSUS server, or BITS (the software the WSUS client uses to download updates)
to bypass ISA's proxy?

Hopefully someone else in the group is familiar with the problem of running an
ISA server as a WSUS client and will be able to help - you should let us know
what version of ISA you are running and any relevant configuration information.

Harry.
Daniel