Client does not seem to find WSUS
JP Breton
2005-06-08 01:53:52 UTC
I have install WSUS and it is running on port 8530...From the documentation,
that is ok. I know it works because I can access
http://01svrdc.dud.local:8530/wsusadmin the WSUS administration site.
WSUS is set for computer bases targeting.

Now, for my client, I have configured a GPO that sets the "specified
Intranet..." to : http://01svrdc.dud.local:8530 where
http://01svrdc.dud.local is my web site.
I have gpupdate /force and then wuauclt.exe /detectnow on my XP client but
no luck. My XP client never show up in WSUS.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks for any help

JP
Rod68
2005-06-08 02:47:02 UTC
Have some prob here. WSUS installed without a problem, download and approve
updates without a problem. I have configured GP to look to WSUS site but the
clients never show in the computers section. (XP computers SP2 and have also
installed WSUS client just in case...) Have ran the gpupdate /force to no
avail. Then tried to set WSUS for server side targeting, added a pilot group
but never have the task to add client computers appear. Any ideas please?

Rod.
JP
John Fenton
2005-06-08 03:15:17 UTC
Did you add a SelfUpdate tree to the default web site on port 80?

The older clients, don't know how to use the newer website and need to be
able to update themselves. I believe both the virtual SelfUpdate and the
virtual ClientWebService folders are needed in that site.

I show:

SelfUpdate points to:
C:\Program Files\Update Services\Selfupdate

and

ClientWebService points to:
C:\Program Files\Update Services\webservices\ClientWebServiceM5

hope that helps.

John
JP
Rod68
JP
James

JP
Adrian Marsh (NNTP)
JP
Allen McGuire
2005-06-08 13:02:22 UTC
The client logfile (WindowsUpdate.log) would be pretty helpful here, but in
addition, what happens if you go directly to MU on that workstation?

Thanks,
Allen
--
A McGuire
JP
JP Breton
2005-06-08 13:39:40 UTC
From my WinXP SP2 client client, I can go fine on the Microsoft Update
site.

Don't I don't have any WindowsUpdate.log on my client.

Hope that helps

Thanks for any help

REgards

JP
JP
Allen McGuire
2005-06-08 13:56:49 UTC
There should be a WindowsUpdate.log file located in the %windir% (normally
c:\Windows). XP SP2 certainly has an AU client (called wuaucl.exe, located
at %windir%\system32) - is the Automatic Updates service enabled?
--
A McGuire
From my WinXP SP2 client client, I can go fine on the Microsoft Update
JP
JP Breton
2005-06-08 14:11:07 UTC
ok....yes found the windowsupdate.log on my XP client. Yes I do have the AU
service started and I have the WUAUCLT.exe file.

Like I said, I have execute wuauclt /detectnow but no luck

Thanks again

JP
Post by Allen McGuire
There should be a WindowsUpdate.log file located in the %windir% (normally
c:\Windows). XP SP2 certainly has an AU client (called wuaucl.exe, located
at %windir%\system32) - is the Automatic Updates service enabled?
--
A McGuire
From my WinXP SP2 client client, I can go fine on the Microsoft Update
JP
Allen McGuire
JP
Allen McGuire
2005-06-08 15:37:12 UTC
I'm noticing 401 errors - for example, when you forced a /detectnow at:

2005-06-07 21:54:35 1640 678 PT + Last proxy send request failed with hr =
0x800710DD, HTTP status code = 401

...you are getting 401, which is Unauthorized access. Can you check the
permissions on the WSUS virtual directories in IIS and ensure that anonymous
access is enabled?
--
A McGuire
here you go...a bit big...I had to zip it.
Post by Allen McGuire
There should be a WindowsUpdate.log file located in the %windir% (normally
c:\Windows). XP SP2 certainly has an AU client (called wuaucl.exe, located
at %windir%\system32) - is the Automatic Updates service enabled?
--
A McGuire
From my WinXP SP2 client client, I can go fine on the Microsoft Update
JP
JP Breton

JP
Adrian Marsh (NNTP)
2005-06-08 15:47:09 UTC
Good news: Your client IS finding your WSUS server.
Bad news: Its having some SOAP issues talking to it.

Bad news: Your WSUS server is also having trouble, talking to itself...

As your client has upgraded to 5.8.0.2469, then part of your server is
OK (the SelfUpdate folder is ok).

What happens when you browse from IE to
http://01svrdc.dud.local:8530/clientwebservice/WusServerVersion.xml ?
You should get an XML file.

A.
++++ PT: Synchronizing server updates +++++++++++
2005-06-08 08:43:06 852 dd8 PT + ServiceId = {3DA21691-E39D-4DA6-8A4B-B43877BCB1B7}, Server URL = http://01svrdc.dud.local:8530/ClientWebService/client.asmx
2005-06-08 08:43:06 852 dd8 Misc WARNING: SendRequest failed with hr = 800710dd. Proxy List used: <(null)> Bypass List used : <(null)> Auth Schemes used : <>
2005-06-08 08:43:06 852 dd8 Misc WARNING: WinHttp: SendRequestUsingProxy failed for <http://01svrdc.dud.local:8530/clientwebservice/WusServerVersion.xml>. error 0x800710dd
2005-06-08 08:43:06 852 dd8 Misc WARNING: WinHttp: SendRequestToServerForFileInformation MakeRequest failed. error 0x800710dd
2005-06-08 08:43:06 852 dd8 Misc WARNING: WinHttp: SendRequestToServerForFileInformation failed with 0x800710dd
2005-06-08 08:43:06 852 dd8 Misc WARNING: WinHttp: ShouldFileBeDownloaded failed with 0x800710dd
[...]
2005-06-08 08:43:06 852 dd8 PT WARNING: GetConfig failure, error = 0x80244017, soap client error = 10, soap error code = 0, HTTP status code = 401
2005-06-08 08:43:06 852 dd8 PT WARNING: Sync of Updates: 0x80244017
Ok found my log on my WSUS sever
See attch file.
JP
JP
JP Breton

JP
JP Breton
2005-06-09 00:40:05 UTC
FOUND IT:

Here is how I solve it:...maybe it can help others

Found out that all the virtual directories below WSUS Administration where
set to use only Anonymous authentication....except WSUSAdmin
I set Integrated Windows Authentication to all my my site.....and voila.
Problem solve.

I have no idea why all the virtual directory where set to use Anonymous
only.

Case close

JP
JP
Rod68

JP
Lawrence Garvin
2005-06-09 15:46:40 UTC
JP....

Anonymous access /and/ Integrated authentication are required on the virtual
server.. because...

Integrated authentication is required for the WSUSAdmin virtual
directory, and
Anonymous access is required for all other virtual directories.

Integrated authentication is not required for the virtual directories
other than WSUSAdmin.
If adding Integrated authentication to those virtual directories fixed
your access, that would indicate there is still an existing issue with the
correct functioning of Anonymous access on those virtual directories.
JP
BJ
2005-06-09 18:41:53 UTC
What if I am seeing an XML file when browsing to the
clientwebservice/wusserverversion.xml and client are still not responding or
updating and I am still recieveing the soap error
JP
Lawrence Garvin
2005-06-09 21:21:13 UTC
That would be confirmation that the access permissions for the virtual
directory are correct.

Another possibility:
You ran IISLockdown, and ASP.NET is not Permitted in the Web Server
Extensions access list.
Or some other issue related to the functionality of ASP.NET may be at
work.

Despite your observation that you were able to browse to the XML file, it
SendRequestUsingProxy failed for
<http://01svrdc.dud.local:8530/clientwebservice/WusServerVersion.xml>.
error 0x800710dd
Did you browse from a logged on account that has Domain Admin permissions?
If so, it may be that the 'clientwebservice' virtual directory does not have
anonymous access permissions enabled, which would prevent the WUA from
successfully accessing that web service.
JP
BJ
2005-06-09 21:32:44 UTC
Yes I have browsed from a logged on account with domain admin permissions.
I have check all virtual directories and they all have anonymous access
permissions enabled.

Any other suggestions?
JP
Lawrence Garvin
2005-06-09 22:04:34 UTC
You didn't comment on the ASP.NET question.

Is this Windows 2000 Server (IIS5), or Windows Server 2003 (IIS6)?

Have you used IISLockdown?

Is the client configured to use a Proxy Server?
If so, have you excluded /local/ resources from the proxy server
configuration?

Those are all of the "other suggestions" that came to mind as I read through
the thread.

But then... I reviewed your attached logfile.. and I realized we're talking
about an XP SP2 system throwing 800710dd errors..

2005-06-07 21:43:59 1640 394 Misc WARNING: SendRequest failed with hr =
800710dd.
2005-06-07 21:43:59 1640 394 PT + Last proxy send request failed with hr =
0x800710DD, HTTP status code = 401
2005-06-07 21:43:59 1640 394 PT WARNING: GetConfig failure, error =
0x800710DD,
2005-06-07 21:43:59 1640 394 Report WARNING: Reporter failed to upload
events with hr = 800710dd.
2005-06-07 21:54:35 1640 678 Misc WARNING: SendRequest failed with hr =
800710dd.
2005-06-07 21:54:35 1640 678 PT + Last proxy send request failed with hr =
0x800710DD, HTTP status code = 401
2005-06-07 21:54:35 1640 678 PT WARNING: GetConfig failure, error =
0x800710DD,
2005-06-07 21:54:35 1640 678 PT WARNING: Sync of Updates: 0x800710dd
2005-06-07 21:54:35 1640 678 Agent * WARNING: Failed to synchronize, error
= 0x800710DD
2005-06-07 21:54:35 1640 678 Agent * WARNING: Exit code = 0x800710DD
2005-06-07 21:54:35 1640 678 Agent WARNING: WU client failed Searching for
update with error 0x800710dd
2005-06-07 21:54:35 1640 678 AU # WARNING: Search callback failed, result
= 0x800710DD

and we know one probably cause for this when all else fails. I just posted a
summary of this issue, which has existed for some time, earlier today in
another thread. Check the information at this link:

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6247-0.html?forumID=12&threadID=157166&messageID=1663085
JP
Tim
2005-06-16 05:35:01 UTC
I'm having a similar problem as stated in the previous posts. If someone
could check my log and tell me what i am doing wrong. I have already verified
the IIS anon access and windows auth. to be enabled. Any help would be
greatly appreciated.
I also verified that i get the download dialog box when plugging the .cab
test address in from a client.
-TW

2005-06-15 22:13:23 792 c18 AU Triggering AU detection through DetectNow API
2005-06-15 22:13:30 792 928 DnldMgr Error 0x80072efd occurred while
downloading update; notifying dependent calls.
2005-06-15 22:13:30 792 ce0 AU #############
2005-06-15 22:13:30 792 ce0 AU ## START ## AU: Search for updates
2005-06-15 22:13:30 792 ce0 AU #########
2005-06-15 22:13:30 792 cbc DnldMgr Error 0x80072efd occurred while
downloading update; notifying dependent calls.
2005-06-15 22:13:30 792 ce0 AU <<## SUBMITTED ## AU: Search for updates
[CallId = {C722AB81-F7A7-46F6-A0FD-AC8735439636}]
2005-06-15 22:13:30 792 330 Agent *************
2005-06-15 22:13:30 792 330 Agent ** START ** Agent: Finding updates
[CallerId = AutomaticUpdates]
2005-06-15 22:13:30 792 330 Agent *********
2005-06-15 22:13:30 792 330 Misc WARNING: Send failed with hr = 80072efd.
2005-06-15 22:13:30 792 330 Misc WARNING: SendRequest failed with hr =
80072efd. Proxy List used: <(null)> Bypass List used : <(null)> Auth Schemes
used : <>
2005-06-15 22:13:30 792 330 Misc WARNING: WinHttp: SendRequestUsingProxy
failed for <http://server/selfupdate/wuident.cab>. error 0x80072efd
2005-06-15 22:13:30 792 330 Misc WARNING: WinHttp:
SendRequestToServerForFileInformation MakeRequest failed. error 0x80072efd
2005-06-15 22:13:30 792 330 Misc WARNING: WinHttp:
SendRequestToServerForFileInformation failed with 0x80072efd
2005-06-15 22:13:30 792 330 Misc WARNING: WinHttp: ShouldFileBeDownloaded
failed with 0x80072efd
[...]
2005-06-15 22:13:30 792 330 Misc WARNING: DownloadFileInternal failed for
http://server/selfupdate/wuident.cab: error 0x80072efd
2005-06-15 22:13:30 792 330 Setup FATAL: IsUpdateRequired failed with error
0x80072efd
2005-06-15 22:13:30 792 330 Report *********** Report: Initializing static
reporting data ***********
2005-06-15 22:13:30 792 330 Report * OS Version = 5.1.2600.1.0.65792
2005-06-15 22:13:31 792 330 Report * Computer Brand = Compaq
2005-06-15 22:13:31 792 330 Report * Computer Model = Deskpro EP Series
2005-06-15 22:13:31 792 330 Report * Bios Revision = 686J1 v3.10
2005-06-15 22:13:31 792 330 Report * Bios Name = 686J1 v3.10
2005-06-15 22:13:31 792 330 Report * Bios Release Date =
2000-07-12T00:00:00
2005-06-15 22:13:31 792 330 Report * Locale ID = 1033
2005-06-15 22:13:31 792 330 Setup WARNING: SelfUpdate: Default Service:
IsUpdateRequired failed: 0x80072efd
2005-06-15 22:13:31 792 330 Setup WARNING: SelfUpdate: Default Service:
IsUpdateRequired failed, error = 0x80072EFD
2005-06-15 22:13:31 792 330 Agent * WARNING: Skipping scan, self-update
check returned 0x80072EFD
2005-06-15 22:13:31 792 330 Agent * WARNING: Exit code = 0x80072EFD
2005-06-15 22:13:31 792 330 Agent *********
2005-06-15 22:13:31 792 330 Agent ** END ** Agent: Finding updates
[CallerId = AutomaticUpdates]
2005-06-15 22:13:31 792 330 Agent *************
2005-06-15 22:13:31 792 330 Agent WARNING: WU client failed Searching for
update with error 0x80072efd
2005-06-15 22:13:31 792 330 AU >>## RESUMED ## AU: Search for updates
[CallId = {C722AB81-F7A7-46F6-A0FD-AC8735439636}]
2005-06-15 22:13:31 792 330 AU # WARNING: Search callback failed, result
= 0x80072EFD
2005-06-15 22:13:31 792 330 AU #########
2005-06-15 22:13:31 792 330 AU ## END ## AU: Search for updates [CallId
= {C722AB81-F7A7-46F6-A0FD-AC8735439636}]
2005-06-15 22:13:31 792 330 AU #############
2005-06-15 22:13:31 792 330 AU AU setting next detection timeout to
2005-06-16 07:13:31
2005-06-15 22:13:34 792 928 DnldMgr Error 0x80072efd occurred while
downloading update; notifying dependent calls.
2005-06-15 22:13:36 792 3e8 Report REPORT EVENT:
{0D871B2E-572B-416A-96EB-1986E94C6CFA} 2005-06-15
22:13:30-0400 1 148 101 {D67661EB-2423-451D-BF5D-13199E37DF28} 0 80072efd SelfUpdate Failure Software
Synchronization Error: Agent failed detecting with reason: 0x80072efd
2005-06-15 22:13:39 792 bc0 DnldMgr Error 0x80072efd occurred while
downloading update; notifying dependent calls.
2005-06-15 22:13:44 792 cbc DnldMgr Error 0x80072efd occurred while
downloading update; notifying dependent calls.
2005-06-15 22:13:51 792 928 DnldMgr Error 0x80072efd occurred while
downloading update; notifying dependent calls.
Lawrence Garvin
2005-06-16 06:22:36 UTC
2005-06-15 22:13:30 792 928 DnldMgr Error 0x80072efd occurred while
downloading update; notifying dependent calls.

The 0x80072efd errors are equivalent to an HTTP 404 error. Check the
permission settings on your virtual server and virtual directories. All
except WSUSAdmin should have anonymous access enabled.
Rumson Gary
2005-06-21 19:53:08 UTC
try this as a BAT file on the client, it has worked for us:

regsvr32 msxml3.dll
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll