computers not showing up
rob meier
2005-10-05 18:49:12 UTC
OK I had SUS which worked fine. I uninstalled it and installed WSUS. I
have everything setup the way I want it but I can't computers to show up.
When I run the client diagnostics I get:
WSUS Client Diagnostics Tool

Checking Machine State
Checking for admin rights to run tool . . . . . . . . . PASS
Automatic Updates Service is running. . . . . . . . . . PASS
Background Intelligent Transfer Service is running. . . PASS
Wuaueng.dll version 5.8.0.2469. . . . . . . . . . . . . PASS
This version is WSUS 2.0

Checking AU Settings
AU Option is 4: Scheduled Install . . . . . . . . . . . PASS
Option is from Policy settings

Checking Proxy Configuration
Checking for winhttp local machine Proxy settings . . . PASS
Winhttp local machine access type
<Direct Connection>
Winhttp local machine Proxy. . . . . . . . . . NONE
Winhttp local machine ProxyBypass. . . . . . . NONE
Checking User IE Proxy settings . . . . . . . . . . . . PASS
User IE Proxy. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . NONE
User IE ProxyByPass. . . . . . . . . . . . . . NONE
User IE AutoConfig URL Proxy . . . . . . . . . NONE
User IE AutoDetect
AutoDetect not in use

Checking Connection to WSUS/SUS Server
WUServer = http://192.168.1.150
WUStatusServer = http://192.168.1.150
UseWuServer is enabled. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . PASS
Connection to server. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . PASS

WinHttpDownloadFileToMemory(szURLDest, NULL, 0, NULL, NULL, NULL,
&downloadBuffe
r) failed with hr=0x80190194

The requested URL does not exist on the server.

You noitced I changed the computer name to the IP but that didn't do
anything. I set the Group Policy to renew every hour.

What's up??? Any help is appreciated

Rob Meier
Eric S
2005-10-05 19:56:05 UTC
I am havig a very similar problem.
We had SUS and it worked fine.
I installed WSUS on a seperate server using port 8530 instead of port 80.
We can get to the cab files fine, but no computers show up in the computers
window.
We have assigned the computers to look to the WSUS server via group policy.
Can someone help us?
Rob Meier
Lawrence Garvin
2005-10-05 20:00:21 UTC
Post by rob meier
WinHttpDownloadFileToMemory(szURLDest, NULL, 0, NULL, NULL, NULL,
&downloadBuffe
r) failed with hr=0x80190194
The requested URL does not exist on the server.
Rob, specifically this is a '404' (File Not Found) error attempting to
access this resource:
http://192.168.1.150/selfupdate/au/x86/<pp>/<ll>/wuaucomp.cab

where <pp> is the platform (xp, w2k, netserver)
and <ll> is the language -- probably English since I see you're posting from
the west coast.

The '404' can be caused if the virtual directory is not pointing the correct
pathname, or if the content is physically absent. This latter has been
observed randomly on several systems, so check those ~/<pp>/en/ folders to
make sure all of the content is present. The ~/xp/en folder should have 16
files; the others should have 15. The file in ~/xp/en that is not in the
other folders is winhttp.cab.

As far as I've been able to determine, the actual files in the ~\xp\en,
~\w2k\en, and ~\netserver\en folders are all identical, so if one folder is
missing files, you can copy them from another platform folder -- at least
for English.

If the file is physically present in %PROGRAMFILES%\Update
Services\selfupdate\au\x86\<pp>\en\wuaucomp.cab, then you should also try
accessing the resource via IE. You should get a file open/save dialog.
Rob Meier
Eric S
Rob Meier
Rui
2005-10-06 15:11:08 UTC
Try to change this settings in your Gp
WUServer = http://192.168.1.150:8530
and
WUStatusServer = http://192.168.1.150:8530
Rob Meier
rob meier
2005-10-06 16:08:18 UTC
OK, you were right. For some reason files were missing from the install. I
saved the content and the database. then I did a complete uninstall and
then reinstall. I restored the content and the database and I have no more
problems with the clientdiag tool. I'm still waiting for computers to show
up. I'll let you know. THANKS ALOT LAWRENCE!!!
Rob Meier
rob meier
2005-10-06 17:48:03 UTC
Yeah even though the clientdiag.exe tool says no errors, the computers still
don't show up. I opened the windowsupdate.log and it shows this:
2005-10-06 11:51:03 15:51:03 Error IUENGINE Querying software
update catalog from http://gateway/autoupdate/getmanifest.asp (Error
0x80190194)

There is no autoupdate folder. There's a selfupdate and content but no
autoupdate. How can I correct this?
Rob Meier
Rob Meier
Lawrence Garvin
2005-10-06 22:06:21 UTC
The log cited is actually the "windows update.log" (note the space in the
name).

The actual log to inspect is the "WindowsUpdate.log" (no space).

However, we can get some real basic information from this log. The entry
this morning showing the '404' error attempting to access the catalog at
http://gateway/autoupdate.getmanifest.asp tells us two things:

(1) The WUA did not find a /WSUS/ server at the URL http://gateway, and
(2) The WUA, after dropping into "legacy mode", also did not find a /SUS/
server at that URL.

So the next step would be to verify that you have the correct URL for your
/WSUS/ server configured at the client.
Rob Meier
rob meier
2005-10-07 14:47:39 UTC
OK When I set it up this time, I used port 8530. I adjusted this in my
group policy. Now I get a error: VerifyWUServerURL() failed with
hr=0x800710dd The operation identifier is not valid. from the
clientdiag.exe utility.

Rob Meier
Rob Meier
rob meier
2005-10-07 15:17:34 UTC
I did this:
Check in the IIS Manager to see what authentication type is enabled on the
directories that are part of the WSUS Server. Windows Integrated
Authentication needs to be enabled on the "SimpleAuthWebService", "Content",
"ClientWebService", "ReportingWebService" and the "SelfUpdate" folders.
After correcting this, all my clients are making successful connections and
downloading approved updates, as well as reporting to the server that the
client exists and is using the Windows Server Update Services server.
Now I don't get anymore errors in the clientdiag.exe. This is the output to
the windowupdate.log:
*********** Agent: Refreshing global settings cache ***********
2005-10-07 10:41:55 2016 5f8 Agent * WSUS server: http://gateway:8530
(Changed)
2005-10-07 10:41:55 2016 5f8 Agent * WSUS status server:
http://gateway:8530 (Changed)
2005-10-07 10:41:55 2016 5f8 Agent * Target group: All Computers
(Unchanged)
Rob Meier
Lawrence Garvin
2005-10-07 16:30:23 UTC
In fact, WIA only needs to be enabled on WSUSAdmin and (for reasons not yet
determined) selfupdate. All other virtual directories only require anonymous
access. The virtual server should also be configured with both anonymous
access and WIA.

While WIA will work for clients who have computer accounts in the same
domain as the WSUS server, it will not work for non-domain computers, or
WSUS servers who are not domain members, The WUA actually initiates an
anonymous connection to the WSUS server, and the cause of your 0x800710dd
error is most likely the absence of anonymous access permissions on the
/clientwebservice virtual directory.
Rob Meier
rob meier
2005-10-07 17:32:36 UTC
This is never ending!!! War and Peace is shorter. I now get an error:
2005-10-07 13:20:34 2596 a3c Misc =========== Logging initialized (build:
5.8.0.2469, tz: -0400) ===========
2005-10-07 13:20:34 2596 a3c Misc = Process: C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
2005-10-07 13:20:34 2596 a3c Misc = Module:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll
2005-10-07 13:20:34 2596 a3c Shutdwn Install at shutdown: no updates to
install
2005-10-07 13:20:34 2596 a3c Shutdwn FATAL: WUCheckForUpdatesAtShutdown
failed, hr=8024002B
2005-10-07 13:20:46 1600 898 Misc =========== Logging initialized (build:
5.8.0.2469, tz: -0400) ===========
2005-10-07 13:20:46 1600 898 Misc = Process:
\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
2005-10-07 13:20:46 1600 898 Misc = Module:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll
2005-10-07 13:20:46 1600 898 Shutdwn FATAL: WUAutoUpdateAtShutdown failed,
hr=8024002B
2005-10-07 13:20:49 2016 614 Service *********
2005-10-07 13:20:49 2016 614 Service ** END ** Service: Service exit
[Exit code = 0x240001]
2005-10-07 13:20:49 2016 614 Service *************
2005-10-07 13:22:32 2020 5d4 Misc =========== Logging initialized (build:
5.8.0.2469, tz: -0400) ===========
2005-10-07 13:22:32 2020 5d4 Misc = Process:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
2005-10-07 13:22:32 2020 5d4 Misc = Module:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll
2005-10-07 13:22:32 2020 5d4 Service *************
2005-10-07 13:22:32 2020 5d4 Service ** START ** Service: Service startup
2005-10-07 13:22:32 2020 5d4 Service *********
2005-10-07 13:22:32 2020 5d4 Agent * WU client version 5.8.0.2469
2005-10-07 13:22:32 2020 5d4 Agent * SusClientId =
'cc6d6ed5-0fe4-4a1e-a31f-1961b484759e'
2005-10-07 13:22:32 2020 5d4 Agent * Base directory:
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution
2005-10-07 13:22:32 2020 5d4 Agent * Access type: No proxy
2005-10-07 13:22:32 2020 5d4 Agent * Network state: Connected
2005-10-07 13:23:17 2020 5d4 Agent *********** Agent: Initializing Windows
Update Agent ***********
2005-10-07 13:23:17 2020 5d4 Agent *********** Agent: Initializing global
settings cache ***********
2005-10-07 13:23:17 2020 5d4 Agent * WSUS server: http://gateway:8530
2005-10-07 13:23:17 2020 5d4 Agent * WSUS status server:
http://gateway:8530
2005-10-07 13:23:17 2020 5d4 Agent * Target group: All Computers
2005-10-07 13:23:17 2020 5d4 Agent * Windows Update access disabled: No
2005-10-07 13:23:43 2020 5d4 DnldMgr Download manager restoring 0 downloads
2005-10-07 13:23:43 2020 5d4 AU ########### AU: Initializing Automatic
Updates ###########
2005-10-07 13:23:43 2020 5d4 AU AU setting next detection timeout to
2005-10-07 17:23:43
2005-10-07 13:23:43 2020 5d4 AU # WSUS server: http://gateway:8530
2005-10-07 13:23:43 2020 5d4 AU # Detection frequency: 1
2005-10-07 13:23:43 2020 5d4 AU # Target group: All Computers
2005-10-07 13:23:43 2020 5d4 AU # Approval type: Scheduled (Policy)
2005-10-07 13:23:43 2020 5d4 AU # Scheduled install day/time: Every day at
12:00
2005-10-07 13:23:43 2020 5d4 AU # Auto-install minor updates: Yes (Policy)
2005-10-07 13:23:43 2020 5d4 AU # Launching old AU client

The key is the FATAl part. any ideas?

Rob Meier
Rob Meier
Lawrence Garvin
2005-10-07 19:59:49 UTC
Actually the key is this line:
2005-10-07 13:23:43 2020 5d4 AU # Launching old AU client

Which tells us that the WUA (client) is not finding a WSUS server at the
configured URL:
http://gateway:8530

The FATAL error of WindowsUpdateAtShutdown is just another manifestation of
the WUA not being able to find the WSUS server at the specified URL.
Rob Meier
rob meier
2005-10-11 12:12:21 UTC
OK I did a uninstall and started from from scratch except for the content
files. I chose port 80 this time. It looks good but computers still don't
show up.This is the output of the log:
2005-10-11 08:02:52 2016 5f0 Service *********
2005-10-11 08:02:52 2016 5f0 Service ** END ** Service: Service exit
[Exit code = 0x240001]
2005-10-11 08:02:52 2016 5f0 Service *************
2005-10-11 08:02:54 2016 9d8 Misc =========== Logging initialized (build:
5.8.0.2469, tz: -0400) ===========
2005-10-11 08:02:54 2016 9d8 Misc = Process:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
2005-10-11 08:02:54 2016 9d8 Misc = Module:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll
2005-10-11 08:02:54 2016 9d8 Service *************
2005-10-11 08:02:54 2016 9d8 Service ** START ** Service: Service startup
2005-10-11 08:02:54 2016 9d8 Service *********
2005-10-11 08:02:54 2016 9d8 Agent * WU client version 5.8.0.2469
2005-10-11 08:02:54 2016 9d8 Agent * WARNING: Failed to obtain SusClientId
2005-10-11 08:02:54 2016 9d8 Agent * Base directory:
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution
2005-10-11 08:02:54 2016 9d8 Agent * Access type: No proxy
2005-10-11 08:02:54 2016 9d8 Agent * Network state: Connected
2005-10-11 08:02:56 2016 e88 Agent *********** Agent: Initializing Windows
Update Agent ***********
2005-10-11 08:02:56 2016 e88 Agent *********** Agent: Initializing global
settings cache ***********
2005-10-11 08:02:56 2016 e88 Agent * WSUS server: <NULL>
2005-10-11 08:02:56 2016 e88 Agent * WSUS status server: <NULL>
2005-10-11 08:02:56 2016 e88 Agent * Target group: (Unassigned Computers)
2005-10-11 08:02:56 2016 e88 Agent * Windows Update access disabled: No
2005-10-11 08:02:57 2016 e88 DnldMgr Download manager restoring 0 downloads
2005-10-11 08:02:57 2016 e88 AU ########### AU: Initializing Automatic
Updates ###########
2005-10-11 08:02:57 2016 e88 AU # Approval type: Pre-download notify (User
preference)
2005-10-11 08:02:57 2016 e88 AU Triggering AU detection through DetectNow
API
2005-10-11 08:02:57 2016 9d8 AU #############
2005-10-11 08:02:57 2016 9d8 AU ## START ## AU: Search for updates
2005-10-11 08:02:57 2016 9d8 AU #########
2005-10-11 08:02:57 2016 9d8 AU <<## SUBMITTED ## AU: Search for updates
[CallId = {69FF1445-A33F-4FC6-8C5C-56F0F7239ECA}]
2005-10-11 08:02:57 2016 7f4 Agent *************
2005-10-11 08:02:57 2016 7f4 Agent ** START ** Agent: Finding updates
[CallerId = AutomaticUpdates]
2005-10-11 08:02:57 2016 7f4 Agent *********
2005-10-11 08:03:10 2016 7f4 Setup *********** Setup: Checking whether
self-update is required ***********
2005-10-11 08:03:10 2016 7f4 Setup * Inf file:
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\SelfUpdate\Default\wusetup.inf
2005-10-11 08:03:10 2016 7f4 Setup Update NOT required for
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cdm.dll: target version = 5.8.0.2469, required version =
5.8.0.2469
2005-10-11 08:03:10 2016 7f4 Setup Update NOT required for
C:\WINDOWS\system32\iuengine.dll: target version = 5.8.0.2469, required
version = 5.8.0.2469
2005-10-11 08:03:10 2016 7f4 Setup Update NOT required for
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuapi.dll: target version = 5.8.0.2469, required version
= 5.8.0.2469
2005-10-11 08:03:10 2016 7f4 Setup Update NOT required for
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe: target version = 5.8.0.2469, required
version = 5.8.0.2469
2005-10-11 08:03:10 2016 7f4 Setup Update NOT required for
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt1.exe: target version = 5.8.0.2469, required
version = 5.8.0.2469
2005-10-11 08:03:10 2016 7f4 Setup Update NOT required for
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaucpl.cpl: target version = 5.8.0.2469, required
version = 5.8.0.2469
2005-10-11 08:03:10 2016 7f4 Setup Update NOT required for
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll: target version = 5.8.0.2469, required
version = 5.8.0.2469
2005-10-11 08:03:10 2016 7f4 Setup Update NOT required for
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng1.dll: target version = 5.8.0.2469, required
version = 5.8.0.2469
2005-10-11 08:03:10 2016 7f4 Setup Update NOT required for
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wucltui.dll: target version = 5.8.0.2469, required
version = 5.8.0.2469
2005-10-11 08:03:10 2016 7f4 Setup Update NOT required for
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups.dll: target version = 5.8.0.2469, required version
= 5.8.0.2469
2005-10-11 08:03:10 2016 7f4 Setup Update NOT required for
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups2.dll: target version = 5.8.0.2469, required version
= 5.8.0.2469
2005-10-11 08:03:10 2016 7f4 Setup Update NOT required for
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuweb.dll: target version = 5.8.0.2469, required version
= 5.8.0.2469
2005-10-11 08:03:10 2016 7f4 Setup * IsUpdateRequired = No
2005-10-11 08:03:11 2016 7f4 PT +++++++++++ PT: Synchronizing server
updates +++++++++++
2005-10-11 08:03:11 2016 7f4 PT + ServiceId =
{9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77}, Server URL =
https://update.microsoft.com/v6/ClientWebService/client.asmx
2005-10-11 08:03:22 2016 7f4 PT +++++++++++ PT: Synchronizing extended
update info +++++++++++
2005-10-11 08:03:22 2016 7f4 PT + ServiceId =
{9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77}, Server URL =
https://update.microsoft.com/v6/ClientWebService/client.asmx
2005-10-11 08:03:23 2016 7f4 Agent * Found 0 updates and 10 categories in
search
2005-10-11 08:03:23 2016 7f4 Report *********** Report: Initializing static
reporting data ***********
2005-10-11 08:03:23 2016 7f4 Report * OS Version = 5.1.2600.2.0.65792
2005-10-11 08:03:23 2016 7f4 Report * Computer Brand = Dell Computer
Corporation
2005-10-11 08:03:23 2016 7f4 Report * Computer Model = OptiPlex GX200
2005-10-11 08:03:23 2016 7f4 Report * Bios Revision = A03
2005-10-11 08:03:23 2016 7f4 Report * Bios Name = Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS
Version 1.10 A03
2005-10-11 08:03:23 2016 7f4 Report * Bios Release Date =
2001-02-28T00:00:00
2005-10-11 08:03:23 2016 7f4 Report * Locale ID = 1033
2005-10-11 08:03:23 2016 7f4 Agent *********
2005-10-11 08:03:23 2016 7f4 Agent ** END ** Agent: Finding updates
[CallerId = AutomaticUpdates]
2005-10-11 08:03:23 2016 7f4 Agent *************
2005-10-11 08:03:23 2016 7f4 AU >>## RESUMED ## AU: Search for updates
[CallId = {69FF1445-A33F-4FC6-8C5C-56F0F7239ECA}]
2005-10-11 08:03:23 2016 7f4 AU # 0 updates detected
2005-10-11 08:03:23 2016 7f4 AU #########
2005-10-11 08:03:23 2016 7f4 AU ## END ## AU: Search for updates [CallId
= {69FF1445-A33F-4FC6-8C5C-56F0F7239ECA}]
2005-10-11 08:03:23 2016 7f4 AU #############
2005-10-11 08:03:23 2016 7f4 AU AU setting next detection timeout to
2005-10-12 09:57:19
2005-10-11 08:03:28 2016 7f4 Report REPORT EVENT:
{316C6DBF-C0F5-424B-9F4A-74D38CA1A575} 2005-10-11 08:03:23-0400 1 147 101
{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} 0 0 AutomaticUpdates Success Software
Synchronization Agent has finished detecting items.

Any thoughts Lawrence?

Rob Meier
Rob Meier
Lawrence Garvin
2005-10-11 21:20:38 UTC
Post by rob meier
Any thoughts Lawrence?
Uh... yeah.... just one this time. :-)

Rob Meier
rob meier
2005-10-12 16:12:09 UTC
I found a posting of a person with the same problem. Apparently the first
SUS install changed things in IIS. I took his advise and uninstalled WSUS
then IIS, then reinstalled them. Ta Da, it works now!!!! Computers show
up. Now onto the next problem!!! I think Microsoft should have thought
this one out better.

Rob Meier
Post by Lawrence Garvin
Post by rob meier
Any thoughts Lawrence?
Uh... yeah.... just one this time. :-)
Rob Meier
Lawrence Garvin [MVP]
2005-10-13 01:54:36 UTC
Uh.. maybe my subtle hint was too subtle... the reason /your/ environment
was failing was because the server /URL/ was not properly configured on the
client.

The only thing that /SUS/ does in a SUS-to-WSUS migration is uninstall the
/selfupdate virtual directory in the Default Web Server if /SUS/ is
uninstalled from Add/Remove Programs.
Post by rob meier
I found a posting of a person with the same problem. Apparently the first
SUS install changed things in IIS. I took his advise and uninstalled WSUS
then IIS, then reinstalled them. Ta Da, it works now!!!! Computers show
up. Now onto the next problem!!! I think Microsoft should have thought
this one out better.
Rob Meier
Post by Lawrence Garvin
Post by rob meier