No Computers Appearing in Console (only on 1 replica server)
Paul Foreman
2006-05-31 09:57:02 UTC
Hello all

I have now installed at least 8 WSUS servers on our networks around the
world and not had 1 problem.

We have just come back from our German office and for some reason I cannot
get a single computer into the WSUS console.

The servers is Windows 2003 SP1 as DC. WSUS was installed before I
dcpromoed it.

I have run the wsus client tool and this reports back that it has the
settings from my GPO correctly.

My next thought was it oculd be cloneed PC issue but I have checked this and
this is not the case.

Any help would be most welcomed.

Many Thanks in advance

Paul Foreman
MCSE
Paul Foreman
2006-05-31 10:52:02 UTC
See below the results of the clienttool

Checking Machine State
Checking for admin rights to run tool . . . . . . . . . PASS
Automatic Updates Service is running. . . . . . . . . . PASS
Background Intelligent Transfer Service is not running. PASS
Wuaueng.dll version 5.8.0.2469. . . . . . . . . . . . . PASS
This version is WSUS 2.0

Checking AU Settings
AU Option is 3 : Notify Prior to Install. . . . . . . . PASS
Option is from Policy settings

Checking Proxy Configuration
Checking for winhttp local machine Proxy settings . . . PASS
Winhttp local machine access type
<Direct Connection>
Winhttp local machine Proxy. . . . . . . . . . NONE
Winhttp local machine ProxyBypass. . . . . . . NONE
Checking User IE Proxy settings . . . . . . . . . . . . PASS
User IE Proxy. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . NONE
User IE ProxyByPass. . . . . . . . . . . . . . NONE
User IE AutoConfig URL Proxy . . . . . . . . . NONE
User IE AutoDetect
AutoDetect not in use

Checking Connection to WSUS/SUS Server
WUServer = http://mundc02.isotron.global:8530
WUStatusServer = http://mundc02.isotron.global:8530
UseWuServer is enabled. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . PASS
Connection to server. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . PASS
SelfUpdate folder is present. . . . . . . . . . . . . . PASS

Press Enter to Complete
Eric Kitetu

Press Enter to Complete
Damienrouaud
2006-07-04 05:57:01 UTC
Hi, As you have already performed the upgrade to WSUS SP1, I would like to
know if this service pach should be applied to replica servers before the
master server ?

Should I expect synchronisation failure betyween master and replica server
for the few days they won't be running the same version ?

Kind regards,
--
Damien
Press Enter to Complete
Lawrence Garvin (MVP)
2006-07-04 14:03:42 UTC
Post by Damienrouaud
Hi, As you have already performed the upgrade to WSUS SP1, I would like to
know if this service pach should be applied to replica servers before the
master server ?
Should I expect synchronisation failure betyween master and replica server
for the few days they won't be running the same version ?
I'm not aware of any issues that would affect master/replica
synchronization, and the order of installation has not been documented as
anything to be controlled.

But, since you know this will occur in advance, I would suggest this
procedure:

(a) Ensure that the replica has fully synchronized to the current master
(b) Suspend synchronization of the replica(s)
(c) Apply the SP1 to the master
(d) Apply the SP1 to the replica
(e) Resume synchronization of the replica
--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MVP-Software Distribution
Everything you need for WSUS is at
WSUS beginner
2006-07-09 05:03:01 UTC
Thank you very much Mr Garvin, I followed your procedure in order to apply
SP1 to our 13 WSUS servers (12 replicas and 1 master) and everything is fine
now.
By curiosity, I kept one replica server without SP1 and tried to synchronize
it with the WSUS SP1 master : as you said, it also worked perfectly (of
course since then, I also applied SP1 on this replica server).

Have a nice day !
Lawrence Garvin (MVP)
2006-07-09 21:44:09 UTC
Post by WSUS beginner
Thank you very much Mr Garvin, I followed your procedure in order to apply
SP1 to our 13 WSUS servers (12 replicas and 1 master) and everything is fine
now.
By curiosity, I kept one replica server without SP1 and tried to synchronize
it with the WSUS SP1 master : as you said, it also worked perfectly (of
course since then, I also applied SP1 on this replica server).
Thank you for the feedback confirming that an RTM replica was able to sync
with a SP1 master. I had not actually tested that scenario, personally,
though I was told by reputable sources that it would work. It's always nice
to see it actually happen, though.
Lawrence Garvin (MVP)
2006-05-31 21:42:55 UTC
Post by Paul Foreman
The servers is Windows 2003 SP1 as DC. WSUS was installed before I
dcpromoed it.
THIS is your fundamental problem.

As documented for many years in the Microsoft Knowledge Base, IIS must be
uninstalled from a machine before running dcpromo, as converting to/from a
DC will corrupt the IIS accounts.

To repair your problem (on each and every server):

(1) Uninstall WSUS
(2) Uninstall IIS
(3) Reinstall IIS
(4) Reinstall WSUS
Paul Foreman
2006-06-01 12:00:01 UTC
Lawrence

thanks for this, just before I came back to read your reply I was reading
SP1 release notes and spotted it in there

so again thanks

Paul