Cannot connect to WSUS 3.0 Server Using Console
Anna_Stephanie
2007-08-31 16:22:59 UTC
Hello All,

I am able to run the WSUS 3.0 console directly on our WSUS 3.0 server.
We changed the password for the account the software runs under. We
logged off and then logged on the server using the new domain
password. From my remote WSUS 3.0 console running on Windows XP Pro
SP2, I am no longer able to connect to the WSUS 3.0 server.

Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks.
Lawrence Garvin [MVP]
2007-09-01 01:58:22 UTC
Post by Anna_Stephanie
Hello All,
I am able to run the WSUS 3.0 console directly on our WSUS 3.0 server.
We changed the password for the account the software runs under.
Which "account" that which "software" runs under?

If you mean the WSUS Server, then the Update Services service should be
running under the Network Service account, not a domain account. You should
set it back to the Network Service account.

If you mean the account you're logging onto at the WSUS Server console, then
that has no impact as long as it's an account that has local Admin or WSUS
Administrators membership on the local server.
Post by Anna_Stephanie
We
logged off and then logged on the server using the new domain
password. From my remote WSUS 3.0 console running on Windows XP Pro
SP2, I am no longer able to connect to the WSUS 3.0 server.
From your =remote= WSUS 3.0 console on Windows XP, the Windows XP system
must be a member of the same domain as the WSUS Server, or a member of a
domain with a domain trust with the domain of the WSUS Server. In addition,
the domain account you are logging on with must be a member of the local
Administrators group on the WSUS Server, a member of the WSUS Administrators
group, or if reporting access only is needed, a member of the WSUS Reporters
group.
--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCTS, MCP
MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2007)
Anna_Stephanie
2007-09-04 13:04:05 UTC
Thanks for your help with this, Lawrence. I am a member of the local
administrators group on the WSUS server, the WSUS administrators and
WSUS Reporters group as well. My Windows XP Pro workstation is a
member of the same domain as the WSUS server. I uninstalled the
administration console from my Windows XP Pro workstation and
reinstalled it. I am still unable to remotely connect to our WSUS
server using the administration console on my system. I checked the
Update Services service on the WSUS server and it is already set to
use the Network Service account. I noticed I am also unable to access
the WSUS web administration console either locally or remotely.

Thanks for your help.
jleich
2007-09-04 16:55:41 UTC
What kind of a message are you getting when trying to connect to the
server? I was having a permission issue with connecting, it kept
telling me to make sure i was in the wsus admin or reporters group.

To fix this I had to go into the IIS management console and under the
wsus administration website I disabled anonymous access to the
ApiRemoting30 application while allowing integrated windows
authentication.

I can now access the console from both the server and remotely via mmc.

Hope this helps.
--
jleich
jleich's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=30513

http://forums.techarena.in
Anna_Stephanie
2007-09-04 20:49:07 UTC
I checked the ApiRemoting30 in IIS 6 on the WSUS server and it is
checked for only Integrated Windows Authentication and Digest.
Anonymous access is not enabled.

In the MMC console on my system, there is a Reset Server Node button.
When I click it, I am still unable to connect.
Amir
2007-09-30 08:44:01 UTC
Hi,
I got the same issue. I am trying to connect to server locally. I have
checked all security and IIS run mode etc. But the console does not connect
with server on port 80 (it was installed using port 80 default).
The issue happens at the end of install and subsequent tries also fail. I
have issued IISREST but no avail.
I have several error messages in application log suggesting that none of the
web services associated with WSUS are working.
The client web service is not working. The simpleAuth web service is not
working. Most importantly API remoting web service is not working.
A search for these event IDs does not reveal helpful hints. (12042,
12032,12012 ETC ETC)
Any suggestion??