WSUS errors after install
"SAIC @ SWN" <SAIC @
2005-11-29 19:26:05 UTC
I recently installed WSUS on a 2003 member server, that is also running SUS
(up to date on patches too). The install SEEMED to run correctly. No errors
during install, or anything. After install and a reboot, i tried to bring up
the admin webpage, and was unable to get logged in to it. When I checked the
event logs, I had the following errors:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: (100)
Event ID: 1004
Date: 10/18/2005
Time: 10:25:39 AM
User: N/A
Computer: SWN-UTIL1
Reporting queued error: faulting application w3wp.exe, version
6.0.3790.1830, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.2.3790.1830, fault
address 0x00015dea.

Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 77 33 77 ure w3w
0018: 70 2e 65 78 65 20 36 2e p.exe 6.
0020: 30 2e 33 37 39 30 2e 31 0.3790.1
0028: 38 33 30 20 69 6e 20 6b 830 in k
0030: 65 72 6e 65 6c 33 32 2e ernel32.
0038: 64 6c 6c 20 35 2e 32 2e dll 5.2.
0040: 33 37 39 30 2e 31 38 33 3790.183
0048: 30 20 61 74 20 6f 66 66 0 at off
0050: 73 65 74 20 30 30 30 31 set 0001
0058: 35 64 65 61 5dea

-----

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: W3SVC
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1009
Date: 10/13/2005
Time: 10:52:49 AM
User: N/A
Computer: SWN-UTIL1
A process serving application pool 'WsusPool' terminated unexpectedly. The
process id was '6008'. The process exit code was '0xc06d007e'.

-----

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Date: 10/13/2005
Time: 10:52:52 AM
User: N/A
Computer: SWN-UTIL1
The Update Services service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely
fashion.

-----

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: W3SVC
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1011
Date: 10/13/2005
Time: 12:23:15 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SWN-UTIL1
A process serving application pool 'WsusPool' suffered a fatal communication
error with the World Wide Web Publishing Service. The process id was '4024'.
The data field contains the error number.

Data:
0000: 6d 00 07 80 m..€
Lawrence Garvin [MVP]
2005-11-30 06:00:31 UTC
Did you create the Application Pool "WSUSPOOL"? Or was that created by the
installation?

It surely looks like a fault in IIS (w3wp.exe).

What else is running on, or has been 'configured' on this server besides SUS?

I'm grasping at straws, just so you know. This is the first we've seen
anything like this following a WSUS installation -- with or without the
presence of SUS.
0000: 6d 00 07 80 m..€
SAIC @ SWN
2005-12-08 18:01:03 UTC
Sorry for the delay in answering. This Util server is currently running
Symantec Anti-Virus CE Admin console, Symantec Ghost Suite, and SUS.

Today, I set up a test server w/ Server 2003, installed 2K3 SP1, and
installed WSUS. After adding Domain Admins, IWAM, and IUSR to the WSUS
Admins group, and IWAM to the local admins group, I was able to get logged in
to the WSUS admin page. So I then uninstalled WSUS, SUS, and IIS 6.0 on the
Util server, rebooted, and reinstalled IIS 6. Next, I installed WSUS,
rebooted, and tried to log on to the WSUS admin page. No luck there. I
added IWAM to local admins, and domain admins, IWAM, and IUSR to WSUS admins
group. Still no luck.

I checked the event log and saw the following error:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: (100)
Event ID: 1000
Date: 12/8/2005
Time: 12:36:14 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SWN-UTIL1
Faulting application w3wp.exe, version 6.0.3790.1830, faulting module
kernel32.dll, version 5.2.3790.1830, fault address 0x00015dea.

Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 77 33 77 ure w3w
0018: 70 2e 65 78 65 20 36 2e p.exe 6.
0020: 30 2e 33 37 39 30 2e 31 0.3790.1
0028: 38 33 30 20 69 6e 20 6b 830 in k
0030: 65 72 6e 65 6c 33 32 2e ernel32.
0038: 64 6c 6c 20 35 2e 32 2e dll 5.2.
0040: 33 37 39 30 2e 31 38 33 3790.183
0048: 30 20 61 74 20 6f 66 66 0 at off
0050: 73 65 74 20 30 30 30 31 set 0001
0058: 35 64 65 61 5dea

Also, I can't get the Update Services service to start. It's set to use
Network Service, but when I try to get it to start it gives an error about
not starting in a timely fashion. I'm becoming very frustrated w/ this. I
don't have the time or desire to wipe the Util server and set it up from
scratch. Thanks.
presence of SUS.
Lawrence Garvin (MVP)
2005-12-09 00:57:40 UTC
Post by SAIC @ SWN
Sorry for the delay in answering. This Util server is currently running
Symantec Anti-Virus CE Admin console, Symantec Ghost Suite, and SUS.
Today, I set up a test server w/ Server 2003, installed 2K3 SP1, and
installed WSUS.
And, at this point, the only thing you should need to do is add the WSUS
Admin Console URL to the Intranet Sites list, so that you are not prompted
for authentication each time you access the WSUS Admin Console from the
server's IE browser.
Post by SAIC @ SWN
After adding Domain Admins, IWAM, and IUSR to the WSUS
Admins group, and IWAM to the local admins group, I was able to get logged in
to the WSUS admin page.
All of this is unnecessary. The WSUS Administrators group is designed to
permit NON-administrators to have access to the WSUS Administration Console.
It's unlikely that adding the IWAM or IUSR accounts did anything significant
at all, although adding them to the WSUS Administrators group gives every
anonymous IIS user on your web server full access to the WSUS Admin Console.

Most likely your addition of Domain Admins is what gave you the permission.
If so, check that Domain Admins is assigned as a group member of the local
Administrators group (it should be).
Post by SAIC @ SWN
So I then uninstalled WSUS, SUS, and IIS 6.0 on the
Util server, rebooted, and reinstalled IIS 6. Next, I installed WSUS,
rebooted, and tried to log on to the WSUS admin page. No luck there.
added IWAM to local admins, and domain admins, IWAM, and IUSR to WSUS admins
group. Still no luck.
Remove them all -- for the various reasons noted above -- the most notable
being they're not required, and you're creating a nightmare worth of
unnecessary security holes by doing so.
What else is installed on this machine that you've not mentioned?
Post by SAIC @ SWN
Also, I can't get the Update Services service to start.
Well, that would definitely put a big dent in your ability to log onto the
Post by SAIC @ SWN
It's set to use
Network Service, but when I try to get it to start it gives an error about
not starting in a timely fashion. I'm becoming very frustrated w/ this.
don't have the time or desire to wipe the Util server and set it up from
scratch. Thanks.
Did you by any chance run the Security Configuration Wizard when you
installed this Win2003SP1 system?

Has anybody reconfigured the permissions for the NT AUTHORITY\Network
Service account?

If not, then we're back to the question: What else is installed/configured
on this system that you've not mentioned?

WSUS should install on a Win2003SP1 system with absolutely no additional
work at all, except adding the URL to the Intranet Sites list in order to
suppress the authentication prompt.
presence of SUS.
inds
2009-04-18 09:10:19 UTC
Step by step configuration

|Filename: WSUS 3.pdf |
|Download: http://forums.techarena.in/attachment.php?attachmentid=7987|
inds
inds's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/91195.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/server-update-service/414017.htm

http://forums.techarena.in
Lawrence Garvin [MVP]
2009-04-18 13:27:09 UTC
Post by inds
Step by step configuration
|Filename: WSUS 3.pdf |
|Download: http://forums.techarena.in/attachment.php?attachmentid=7987|
If you cannot be bothered to post a *MESSAGE* with the information about
your problem,
I can assure you a very unlikely success rate at getting any useful
information in reply.

No.. I will not click on a link posted in a message in a public newsgroup
unless I know *exactly* what the link is for and why I'm clicking on the
link.

You can call the file whatever you want, but that doesn't mean I'm going to
trust anything buried behind an ID parameter being passed to a PHP script.
--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com