MSSQLSERVER not starting
Lars Juhl
2005-06-20 13:18:04 UTC
Brand new WSUS installation on a Exchange 2003 server.
The MSSQLSERVER is not started and we get event id: 506
The SelfUpdate Tree is not working. Clients may not be able to update to
the latest WUA client software and communicate with the WSUS Server.
SQLAgent$WSUS service cannot start and startup type is "Disabled" If I try
to force the service to start i get " SQLAgent is not allowed to run."

Any Ideas would be appreciated
rgds,
Lars
Lawrence Garvin
2005-06-20 15:31:30 UTC
Did you install WSUS to SQL Server 2000, or to the default WMSDE package?

If SQL Server 2000, then the MSSQLSSERVER service should definitely be
started, but if not, this is an issue specific to SQL Server 2000.

Otherwise, you should also have a service named MSSQL$WSUS, which should be
started, set to Automatic, and configured to use the Local System account.

The SQLAgent$WSUS service is not required to support WSUS, and it should be
set to Manual startup. The message being generated is also indication that
there should be an MSSQL$WSUS service configured as noted above.

Your response attempting to startup the SQLAgent$WSUS service is expected.
Simply set the startup type to "Manual" and leave it shutdown.

As for the MSSQLSERVER service -- that would either be a result of a
co-existing SQL Server 2000 installation, or a default (non-named) instance
of MSDE.

What is your server platform, and what database installation(s) methodology
have you used?
Lars
Jenna
2005-06-20 17:03:55 UTC
I'm seeing the same thing, so I hope it's okay if I jump in here.
I have installed WSUS on a Windows Server 2003 server using the default
WMSDE package. SQLAgent$WSUS is not running and is set to manual.
MSSQL$WSUS is Automatic and is running. However, MSSQLServerADHelper is not
running and gave the error below when the server was rebooted.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSSQLServerADHelper
Event Category: None
Event ID: 100
Date: 6/20/2005
Time: 11:20:35 AM
User: N/A
Computer: Server
'0' is an invalid number of start up parameters. This service takes two
start up parameters.

Is that normal for such a setup? I'm mostly concerned because the clients
don't appear to be updating. I have only had three actually download and
install the updates; all the rest check in with the status and show that
they need updates, but never do anything about it. They all show an entry
in the event log from about 4 days ago that they updated Automatic Updates,
but since then, nothing.
Thanks for any assistance you can give!
Jenna
Lars
Lars
2005-06-20 20:29:01 UTC
Hi again sorry the lack of information.
Im running same as jumping Jenna, WMSDE on 2003 and the SQLAgent$WSUS is not
running and I leave it there as you say. MSSQL$WSUS is running and Automatic,
MSSQLServerADHelper is not running and set to manual and If I try to start it
I get the exact same as Jenna (I guess this service should be off).
All my clients are looking but none are updated I also get this message in
the Event log:
The SelfUpdate Tree is not working. Clients may not be able to update to
the latest WUA client software and communicate with the WSUS Server.

I do not have W2003 SP1 installed at this moment.

I guess this problem has something to do with the wmsde ?

any help/suggestions appreciated

Rgds,
Lars
Lars
Lars
2005-06-20 20:45:11 UTC
Here is the ERRORLOG from when i restart the MSSQL$WSUS service:

2005-06-20 22:37:51.36 server Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - 8.00.884
(Intel X86)
Nov 29 2003 20:52:47
Copyright (c) 1988-2003 Microsoft Corporation
Desktop Engine (Windows) on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: )

2005-06-20 22:37:51.36 server Copyright (C) 1988-2002 Microsoft
Corporation.
2005-06-20 22:37:51.36 server All rights reserved.
2005-06-20 22:37:51.36 server Server Process ID is 3664.
2005-06-20 22:37:51.36 server Logging SQL Server messages in file
'd:\WSUS\MSSQL$WSUS\LOG\ERRORLOG'.
2005-06-20 22:37:51.36 server SQL Server is starting at priority class
'normal'(2 CPUs detected).
2005-06-20 22:37:51.86 server SQL Server configured for thread mode
processing.
2005-06-20 22:37:51.86 server Using dynamic lock allocation. [500] Lock
Blocks, [1000] Lock Owner Blocks.
2005-06-20 22:37:51.92 spid4 Starting up database 'master'.
2005-06-20 22:37:52.09 server Using 'SSNETLIB.DLL' version '8.0.880'.
2005-06-20 22:37:52.09 spid5 Starting up database 'model'.
2005-06-20 22:37:52.12 spid4 Server name is 'NUEVOEX01\WSUS'.
2005-06-20 22:37:52.12 spid4 Skipping startup of clean database id 4
2005-06-20 22:37:52.12 spid4 Starting up database 'SUSDB'.
2005-06-20 22:37:52.15 server SQL server listening on Shared Memory.
2005-06-20 22:37:52.15 server SQL Server is ready for client connections
2005-06-20 22:37:52.25 spid5 Clearing tempdb database.
2005-06-20 22:37:52.53 spid5 Starting up database 'tempdb'.
2005-06-20 22:37:52.54 spid4 Recovery complete.
2005-06-20 22:37:53.97 spid51 Starting up database 'SUSDB'.
2005-06-20 22:37:56.40 spid4 SQL global counter collection task is
created.
Lars
Lawrence Garvin
2005-06-22 03:15:13 UTC
The "selfupdate tree not working" scenario is almost always traceable to a
misconfiguration of the access permissions on the virtual server or virtual
directories supporting WSUS.
Lars
Lawrence Garvin
2005-06-22 03:14:04 UTC
However, MSSQLServerADHelper is not running and gave the error below when
the server was rebooted.
The MSSQLServerADHelper should also be set to Manual and normally stopped.
I'm mostly concerned because the clients don't appear to be updating. I
have only had three actually download and install the updates; all the
rest check in with the status and show that they need updates, but never
do anything about it. They all show an entry in the event log from about
4 days ago that they updated Automatic Updates, but since then, nothing.
Thanks for any assistance you can give!
The best way to diagnose client side behavior is to inspect the
WindowsUpdate.log.

As a preliminary step, though, you can also inspect the
%windir%\SoftwareDistribution\ReportingEvents.log file, which is a bit
easier to sort out, but doesn't contain the level of detail in the
WindowsUpdate.log.
Lars
Jenna
2005-06-22 12:21:51 UTC
I have this message repeatedly in all the clients that are not updating:

DnldMgr Error 0x800703eb occurred while downloading update; notifying
dependent calls.

I recently changed the updates from storing at MS Update to storing locally,
hoping that would help, but no updates appear to be downloading.
Looking at the ReportingEvents.log, I just see repeated entries of:
AutomaticUpdates Success Software Synchronization Agent has finished
detecting items.
AutomaticUpdates Success Pre-Deployment Check Reporting client status.

A couple of clients have an error in this log:
103 80244019 AutomaticUpdates Failure Content Download Error: Download
failed.
Lars
Lars
2005-06-23 07:59:04 UTC
I just read e note about MS says that WSUS requires SP1 for 2003 ?? have you
heard about that ? Jeanna do you have SP1.
Gonna try it soon on this WSUS server
Lars
Jenna
Lars
Lawrence Garvin
2005-06-23 20:40:20 UTC
WSUS does not require Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1.

It does, however, require the .NET Framework v1.1 Service Pack 1.

The .NET Framework v1.1 Service Pack 1 can be obtained through Windows
Update, and, of course, via the Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (which,
perhaps, is where the misunderstanding of requirements comes from).