Group Policy Applied but still cant see computers in WSUS admin
Gary
2005-10-20 14:12:02 UTC
I installed WSUS on my 2000 server DC. I set the group policy and did
everything that it said to do. I checked the group policy on the windows xp
computer and it said that the WSUS was applied but no computers show up when
i open the WSUS Admin.

I am stumped on what to do, i have done everything that microsoft said to do
in a document off of their web site for installing WSUS on W2K server.
Ed Flecko
2005-10-20 14:22:02 UTC
Hi Gary,
I had a very similar problem, and it was resolved by my adding the
"Authenticated Users" group to the "Security Filtering" section of the GPO.
In my case, after I did this, my PCs starting "checking in" with the WSUS
server within about 30-60 minutes I'd say. Hope this helps.

Ed
Gary
Lawrence Garvin [MVP]
2005-10-20 18:46:49 UTC
Gary.. obtain the Client Diagnostic Tool from
http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/7/6/976d1084-d2fd-45a1-8c27-a467c768d8ef/WSUS%20Client%20Diagnostic%20Tool.EXE

run it on this XP client, and post the results here.
Gary
2005-10-20 23:27:01 UTC
WSUS Client Diagnostics Tool

Checking Machine State
Checking for admin rights to run tool . . . . . . . . . PASS
Automatic Updates Service is running. . . . . . . . . . PASS
Background Intelligent Transfer Service is running. . . PASS
Wuaueng.dll version 5.8.0.2469. . . . . . . . . . . . . PASS
This version is WSUS 2.0

Checking AU Settings
AU Option is 2 : Notify Prior to Download . . . . . . . PASS
Option is from Policy settings

Checking Proxy Configuration
Checking for winhttp local machine Proxy settings . . . PASS
Winhttp local machine access type
<Direct Connection>
Winhttp local machine Proxy. . . . . . . . . . NONE
Winhttp local machine ProxyBypass. . . . . . . NONE
Checking User IE Proxy settings . . . . . . . . . . . . PASS
User IE Proxy. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . NONE
User IE ProxyByPass. . . . . . . . . . . . . . NONE
User IE AutoConfig URL Proxy . . . . . . . . . NONE
User IE AutoDetect
AutoDetect not in use

Checking Connection to WSUS/SUS Server
WUServer = http://HR-17
WUStatusServer = http://HR-17
UseWuServer is enabled. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . PASS
Client is pointed to SUS 1.0 Server
Connection to server. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . PASS
SelfUpdate folder is present. . . . . . . . . . . . . . PASS

Press Enter to Complete
Lawrence Garvin [MVP]
2005-10-21 05:45:42 UTC
Here's the "error":
Client is pointed to SUS 1.0 Server

This can happen from one of two causes.

(1) The client really is pointed to a SUS server. This would happen if the
server containing WSUS, previusly contained SUS, and you've not yet disabled
the SUS site.

(2) The client is pointed to a virtual server that is not a WSUS server.
This would happen if the server containing WSUS has something else occuping
the Default Web Site, or you explicitly selected the option during
installation to put the WSUS website on the alternate port.

In either case, this happens because the client is configured with an
incorrect URL.
I'll make an educated guess that the 'fix' for this issue will be to change
the URL to:
http://HR-17:8530
Gary