WSUS3.0 Downstream replica WSUS servers showing Unapproved updates
packav
2007-06-28 17:40:01 UTC
Greetings,

I'm on a recently upgraded WSUS 3.0 with 1 main server and 3 replica
downstream servers. My replica servers are showing updates with an Unapproved
status, but my upstream server doesn't have any Unapproved updates.

Ex of update status on replica server:
Report: Loading Image...
On Console: Loading Image...

update status on main server:

Any ideas? TIA
Lawrence Garvin (MVP)
2007-06-29 03:48:55 UTC
Post by packav
Greetings,
I'm on a recently upgraded WSUS 3.0 with 1 main server and 3 replica
downstream servers. My replica servers are showing updates with an Unapproved
status, but my upstream server doesn't have any Unapproved updates.
When is the last time the replica(s) successfully synchronized?

Also..since we're primarily talking about legacy updates here (all but one
of the updates in the list is superceded), any chance you DECLINED them on
the upstream server, which is preventing their display as an Unapproved
update?
--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCTS, MCP
Independent WSUS Evangelist

Everything you need for WSUS is at
http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/technologies/featured/wsus/default.mspx

And, almost everything else is at
http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
packav
2007-06-29 18:44:02 UTC
First off, thanks for the reply Lawrence.

I'm basically trying to resolve Not Approved updates showing as needed on
downstream server reports although those same updates are not present / have
a decline status on the main server.
Post by Lawrence Garvin (MVP)
When is the last time the replica(s) successfully synchronized?
I've configured the replicas to synch every night. Also I can do a synch on
demand. No errors reported.

I usually decline any updates that I do not plan on approving at some point.
For example, this image shows that on my main server I have 0 failed or
needed Not Approved updates:

On the replica server, it shows I have 10 failed or needed not approved
updates:

I think I realized the problem just now however. I ran the WSUS clean up
tool on the main server, but not on the replica servers. Seeing as these
updates showing Not Approved are all very old, perhaps they were deleted off
the main server but not the replica servers.

Anyway, I'm going to run that same cleanup tool on the replica servers to
see if that helps.
packav
2007-06-29 19:20:01 UTC
Oddly enough, running the cleanup tool on the replica servers cleaned up
those old Unapproved updates on the updates screen and the reports. It still
bothers me though that they didn't pull the declined status from the main
server though.
Post by Lawrence Garvin (MVP)
When is the last time the replica(s) successfully synchronized?
I've configured the replicas to synch every night. Also I can do a synch on
demand. No errors reported.
I usually decline any updates that I do not plan on approving at some point.
For example, this image shows that on my main server I have 0 failed or
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa166/packav/WSUSex5.jpg
On the replica server, it shows I have 10 failed or needed not approved
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa166/packav/WSUSex4.jpg
Lawrence Garvin (MVP)
2007-06-30 01:29:36 UTC
Post by packav
Oddly enough, running the cleanup tool on the replica servers cleaned up
those old Unapproved updates on the updates screen and the reports. It still
bothers me though that they didn't pull the declined status from the main
server though.
That's a surprise. Those Not Approved/Needed updates must also be subject to
an Approved/Superceded update that's also not yet installed. You'll want to
double check back to the replica on any other "Needed" updates that are
still there.

Lawrence Garvin (MVP)
packav
2007-08-01 20:40:01 UTC
I had this problem appear again, and to finally resolve it, I disabled the
replica mode on the downstream server, declined all the legacy unapproved
updates, then re applied the replica status. So far so good.
Lawrence Garvin [MVP]
2007-08-02 01:09:32 UTC
Post by packav
I had this problem appear again, and to finally resolve it, I disabled the
replica mode on the downstream server, declined all the legacy unapproved
updates, then re applied the replica status. So far so good.
That is a procedure that will work well on a WSUS3 replica.

Thanks for posting that tip.
--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCTS, MCP
MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2007)
Flipp
2007-08-28 17:54:04 UTC
Post by Lawrence Garvin [MVP]
That is a procedure that will work well on a WSUS3 replica.
Thanks for posting that tip.
HI,

i have this problems with the unapproved updates on my replica server too. I
have
disabled the replica mode and then declined all the legacy unapproved
updates, then re applied the replica status. But if I sync with my master
the unapproved update are available. If I do a server cleanup, then the
update are removed until the next sync.

Anybody an idea?
Thanks
Dave
2007-11-15 17:58:00 UTC
was there ever a resolution that anyone found to this? i am having the same
issue. one upstream and one downstream the downstream is a replica server.
i did not have the issue until i ran the server cleanup wizard the first
time, i ran it on the upstream then on the down then synced and when the sync
was done i had 219 unapproved on the replica and not on the upstream. i have
turned off replica declined the updates, re ran the server cleanup and the
very next sync same problem. It is very annoying and would be great if
someone found a soultion to this iisue.

thanks
Steve
2008-03-07 10:00:03 UTC
I'm now also seeing this same problem and have done the same as the others in
this thread but the unapproved updates just come straight back. It's really
annoying as servers are never at 100% updated anymore.

Did anyone find a resolution to this?

thanks

Steve
thanks
Steven Heritage
2008-03-07 19:26:01 UTC
I too have the same issue. I've tried to unlink the downstream server,
decline the unapproved updates, even went so far to run the
"removeinactiveapprovals", but as soon as I link it back up to the Upstream
server the "unapproved" update reappear post Sync. I have 5 downstream
servers suffering the same issue.

HHHHEEEEELLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!
thanks
Harry Johnston [MVP]
2008-03-08 01:26:55 UTC
Post by Steve
I'm now also seeing this same problem and have done the same as the others in
this thread but the unapproved updates just come straight back. It's really
annoying as servers are never at 100% updated anymore.
I'm unclear as to the exact scenario here. Are these updates that are detected
as needed, but that you don't wish to install?

Please provide details for one of the updates in question, i.e., which update it
is. Also check the status of that update on the master server and let us know.

Harry.
Steven Heritage
2008-03-10 15:26:01 UTC
Hey Harry,

These updates are noted as unapproved on the downsteam servers.

The 57 updates noted as unapproved on the downstream servers are noted as
approved on the upstream server. All downstream servers are acting the same
way. I even tried to change the approval settings on the US in hopes of
pushing a new approval to the DS's but no luck. I have no way a making the
DS's change their approval settings on these 57 updates.
Harry.
RHarmon
2008-04-17 19:17:00 UTC
I have this same issue. Here's my scenario. I have one master WSUS server and
numerous (40+) replica servers. I have several replicas showing some updates
as Unapproved and Needed that are actually Declined on the upstream server.
These are mostly Junkmail filters and Malicious Software removal updates
which we have never approved. They are declined as soon as they come in. I
have tried all the solutions mentioned in this thread, and that fixes them
temporarily. But as soon as they synchronize, the problem comes right back.
Harry.
Lawrence Garvin [MVP]
2008-04-17 19:34:34 UTC
Post by RHarmon
Post by Harry Johnston [MVP]
Post by Steve
I'm now also seeing this same problem and have done the same as the others in
this thread but the unapproved updates just come straight back. It's really
annoying as servers are never at 100% updated anymore.
I'm unclear as to the exact scenario here. Are these updates that are detected
as needed, but that you don't wish to install?
Please provide details for one of the updates in question, i.e., which update it
is. Also check the status of that update on the master server and let us know.
I have this same issue. Here's my scenario. I have one master WSUS server and
numerous (40+) replica servers.
<???> Why so many replicas?

And.. are they really =replicas=, as opposed to autonomous downstream
servers?
Post by RHarmon
I have several replicas showing some updates
as Unapproved and Needed that are actually Declined on the upstream server.
This is a prima facie indication that your replica servers are not fully
synchronized with the upstream server, or they, too, would show as declined
on the replica.

This can also happen as a result of running the Server Cleanup Wizard on the
upstream server in between replica synchronizations.
Post by RHarmon
These are mostly Junkmail filters and Malicious Software removal updates
which we have never approved. They are declined as soon as they come in.
Really!?! You don't use the MSRT? You don't use the Outlook JunkMail
Filters?
Post by RHarmon
I have tried all the solutions mentioned in this thread, and that fixes
them
temporarily. But as soon as they synchronize, the problem comes right back.
Ummm.. perhaps there's some confusion, then, in which updates are declined,
and which are still NOT declined?

Can you match up -one for one- the GUIDs of the updates on the upstream
server with the updates on the REPLICA servers.

In fact, if you can email me (and Harry -- it's his thread -- I'm just
hijacking at while on a lunchbreak in Seattle) screenshots showing the
update metadata (including the GUID), the last sync timestamp and status,
confirmation that the downstream server is in REPLICA mode, and the actual
update status from both the upstream and replica servers -- that would help.

But, I'll be honest, my inclination is that this is attributable to some
operational inconsistency that's easily remedied once identified.
--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP, MCTS(x4), MCBMSP, MCP

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
mixont70706
2008-11-03 20:11:21 UTC
I have also created this problem for myself by doing a cleanup and not
following up with the replication servers. The only soulution I have
found to correct the problem is Uninstall Wsus 3.0 on the replication
server using the following steps:

Run Windows Server Update Services 3.0 SP1 Setup Wizard
(WSUSSetup_30SP1_x86.exe)

Put a check in the boxes labeled Windows Server Update Serves 3.0 SP1
database and Log files

Leave the box un-checked labled Downloaded update files

Next

Next

When finished reboot server.

As the server reboots go to the Upstream server and delete it from the
Downstream servers list. Answer YES to the delete all rollup information
question.

Re-install WSUS 3.0 SP1 using the same settings as the previous
installation. Making sure you specify the correct location of the saved
updates.

Synchronize with the upstream server and it should have the correct
Unapproved,Approved and Declined Updates when complete.

All computers that report to the server will have to report status
again. Give it a day or so and your computers will be updated and
reported.

This is the only way I have found to correct this problem. It seems to
stem from a corruption in the database on the replication server. I have
tried running the command line fixes to no avail.

If anyone has a eaiser way to fix this problem I would like to get the
proceedure in case it happens again.

Terry K Mixon
--
mixont70706
mixont70706's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/mixont70706.htm

http://forums.techarena.in
Lawrence Garvin (MVP)
2008-11-03 20:45:39 UTC
Post by mixont70706
I have also created this problem for myself by doing a cleanup and not
following up with the replication servers. The only soulution I have
found to correct the problem is Uninstall Wsus 3.0 on the replication
While this procedure you describe is certainly the most thorough, and thus
the most reliable, there is a simpler procedure that should work, and avoids
the need to re-transport the entire file archive across the network:

1. Delete all of the subfolders and files of the ~\WSUSContent folder. (Do
not delete the ~\WSUSContent folder, as it has ACLS that need to be
inherited to the 00-FF subfolders when recreated.)

2. Make a removable media (DVD, Tape) copy of the ~\WSUSContent folder from
the master server and restore it to the replica server. (Note: If the
archive is too big for media, or if you're not concerned with the bandwidth
consumption, you can XCopy or RoboCopy the master server to the replica
server.)

3. While this restore/re-copy is running, do your think with deleting the
replica server and rollup reporting data from the master.
Post by mixont70706
This is the only way I have found to correct this problem. It seems to
stem from a corruption in the database on the replication server. I have
tried running the command line fixes to no avail.
Actually, if there were an issue with corruption on the =database= on the
replication server, the reinstallation of WSUS on the replica server would
not have resolved the corruption, since you checked the box to KEEP the
database when uninstalling WSUS. Therefore, the net effect of your entire
replica-side procedure is really nothing more than deleting and rebuilding
the ~\WSUSContent folder tree by re-downloading the master's file store.

More likely, in the scenario where you've run the SCW on the master server,
and not coordinated it's execution with replica synchronizations and
downloads, what's happened is that you've deleted metadata and/or update
files from the master server that the replica server needs, but once gone,
cannot obtain.

It may also be that another 'fix' for your situation is simply to run the
SCW on the replica servers (removing the stale metadata and/or files), and
then resynchronize with the master.

One final note, it's a new risk with WSUS 3.0 replica systems -- because
servers can be flip-flopped between replica mode and autonomous mode with
the check/uncheck of an options box, it's not unlikely that a server can be
removed from replica mode, synchronized with microsoft.com, placed back in
replica mode, and end up with a totally mucked up database/filestore.

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
thefatsurfer
2009-03-04 16:14:09 UTC
Hello all.. I'm having the same issues, so i have followed Terry'
Plan.. (Thanks for posting terry) I'll let you know how i get on

--
thefatsurfe
thefatsurfer's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/thefatsurfer.ht

http://forums.techarena.i
madbassist1
2009-08-20 16:41:40 UTC
This behavior occurs when you have multiple WSUS servers using the sam
DB.

do not ask me how I know this..

--
madbassist
madbassist1's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/53992.ht

http://forums.techarena.i
Lawrence Garvin [MVP]
2009-08-20 18:14:11 UTC
This behavior occurs when you have multiple WSUS servers using the same
DB.
do not ask me how I know this...
You know this because you've attempted to do the impossible.

Why have you replied to an ancient thread; instead of starting your own?

Have you actually read the documentation?

Your primary defect, it would seem, is in attempting the dysfunctional
scenario of "having multiple WSUS servers using the same database" which you
*CANNOT* do under any circumstances.

Please read the product documentation available at
http://www.microsoft.com/wsus
--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

madbassist1
2009-08-20 18:32:42 UTC
Lawrence, I was merely pointing out the behavior and what could hav
caused it. To say it's impossible to do isn't true it can be done, bu
then see your approvals get all screwed up when the replicas repor
their states to the database. The main servers say one thing, then th
replicas report something else, hence the descrepancy, as well as why i
keeps repeating. In short, I was giving one possible answer to the caus
of the issue, which you obviously missed because you were so busy bein
condescending that you missed the obvious.

Why didn't I start my own thread? I wasn't asking a question, Lawrence
I was researching something else entirely and ran across this thread
and thought I'd pitch my two cents in. Mainly trying to help someon
with their (apparently) unresolved question.

There is a great wealth of assistance out there for people who ar
having trouble with WSUS. For my effort, I'm willing to skip the Nic
Burns act if I can

http://forums.techarena.i
Lawrence Garvin [MVP]
2009-08-20 22:18:00 UTC
Lawrence, I was merely pointing out the behavior and what could have
caused it. To say it's impossible to do isn't true it can be done, but
then see your approvals get all screwed up when the replicas report
their states to the database. The main servers say one thing, then the
replicas report something else, hence the descrepancy, as well as why it
keeps repeating. In short, I was giving one possible answer to the cause
of the issue, which you obviously missed because you were so busy being
condescending that you missed the obvious.
Why didn't I start my own thread? I wasn't asking a question, Lawrence,
I was researching something else entirely and ran across this thread,
and thought I'd pitch my two cents in. Mainly trying to help someone
with their (apparently) unresolved question.
Okay.. what, perhaps, you don't understand is that you got ahold of the
original message because it's archived somewhere - maybe Google Groups -
maybe some other "web forums" site that is cloning Microsoft Newsgroup
messages -- but the thread is not actually available on the Microsoft News
Server(s) because it's too old, and the thread was abandoned
(closed/answered, etc), eons ago.

The *correct* answer to any such issue is this: You *CANNOT* install a WSUS
Server using another WSUS Server's database. Period. There's absolutely no
value in discussing what happens if you do. That fact has been known since
January, 2005, the first time some creative administrator tried doing
exactly that with a WSUS v2 beta installation.

Furthermore, the *best* answer to the *original* question, which was
definitively identified as caused by incorrectly using the Server Cleanup
Wizard in a replica server environment, was posted by *me* on November 3,
2008. This thread has been "closed" for ten months.
There is a great wealth of assistance out there for people who are
having trouble with WSUS. For my effort, I'm willing to skip the Nick
Burns act if I can.
Fantastic! Your help is absolutely welcome. I hope that my obvious
frustration with this thread does not discourage you from contuining to
contribute.

But, please, keep the help to *constructive* help with correct and accurate
answers, on *current* discussions. We do not need misinformation cluttering
up the conversation(s). The web is already rife with tons of misinformation;
having it appear in a =Microsoft= newsgroup is most unhelpful.

Offering speculative answers on discussions that have already addressed the
actual issues and resolutions -- and then, speculation that the issue "can
be caused" by doing something that's blatantly dysfunctional (not at all
indicated in this thread) -- simply adds to the volume of misinformation
that needs to be sifted through by those trying to find answers to
real-world problems.

It just creates noise in the newsgroup -- wastes the time of people looking
for real answers to properly installed environments -- and confuses the
bejeezus out of me trying to figure out what your "problem" is that
motivated you to post in a dead discussion.

Hint: Next time, check the posting date of the last post in the thread.
Contribute to *active* threads. :-)
--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA