wuauclt.exe command line switches
Pierrot Robert
2006-06-16 18:37:35 UTC

Does anyone have a list of all wuauclt.exe command line switches (e.g.
/detectnow) ?

Thank you.
Mohammed Athif
2006-06-17 11:48:36 UTC

wuauclt.exe /detectnow is the one documented.

Happy Patching,
Mohammed Athif Khaleel
http://msmvps.com/athif
Hi,
Thank you.
Lawrence Garvin (MVP)
2006-06-19 03:42:42 UTC
Post by Mohammed Athif
Hi,
wuauclt.exe /detectnow is the one documented.
Happy Patching,
Mohammed Athif Khaleel
http://msmvps.com/athif
Post by Pierrot Robert
Hi,
Does anyone have a list of all wuauclt.exe command line switches (e.g.
/detectnow) ?
Actually, there are /two/ documented switches.

/detectnow to execute an immediate detection from the client.

/resetauthorization to purge (timeout) the WUA targeting information cookie.

The second switch must be used with the first, and must be executed exactly
in this fashion:
wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow

The /resetauthorization switch is only useful if the client has been
reassigned to a new target group and is not properly picking up that target
group assignment (most likely because it's using a cached targeting cookie).
The switch will force the deletion of the cookie.
--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MVP-Software Distribution
Everything you need for WSUS is at
Mohammed Athif
Dave Harry
2006-07-19 02:29:03 UTC
Post by Lawrence Garvin (MVP)
Actually, there are /two/ documented switches.
/detectnow to execute an immediate detection from the client.
/resetauthorization to purge (timeout) the WUA targeting information cookie.
Any idea of the undocumented ones? I googled and found some that did not
work; they may have been just a wishlist.

I'm looking for one that can start the (already downloaded) installation
process from a command line, the equivalent of having the user click the
yellow shield icon -> "Express Install".
Dave Harry
Lawrence Garvin (MVP)
2006-07-19 14:09:11 UTC
Post by Dave Harry
Post by Lawrence Garvin (MVP)
Actually, there are /two/ documented switches.
/detectnow to execute an immediate detection from the client.
/resetauthorization to purge (timeout) the WUA targeting information cookie.
Any idea of the undocumented ones? I googled and found some that did not
work; they may have been just a wishlist.
There are no undocumented switches.

The ones you found existed in a prior 'beta' version of the WUA and were
there strictly for internal development testing purposes.

I learned of them sometime last year. Did a bit of testing and found their
function extremely limited. At best, the only one that actually did anything
merely launched the UI of the WUA, but nothing more.
Post by Dave Harry
I'm looking for one that can start the (already downloaded) installation
process from a command line, the equivalent of having the user click the
yellow shield icon -> "Express Install".
I'm not aware of any way to do that from the wuauclt.exe executable, Dave.
Your best bet is VBScripting.

I believe Rob or Torgeir have links to scripts that will do this.
--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MVP-Software Distribution
Everything you need for WSUS is at
http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/technologies/featured/wsus/default.mspx
And, everything else is at
http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
Dave Harry
2006-07-20 01:30:14 UTC
Post by Lawrence Garvin (MVP)
Post by Dave Harry
I'm looking for one that can start the (already downloaded) installation
process from a command line, the equivalent of having the user click the
yellow shield icon -> "Express Install".
I'm not aware of any way to do that from the wuauclt.exe executable, Dave.
Your best bet is VBScripting.
I believe Rob or Torgeir have links to scripts that will do this.
Found it, eventually. Works a treat. Thanks much.
Dave Harry
Sachin Nagpal
2009-11-25 15:26:38 UTC
wuauclt /r /reportnow

This is very useful command which sends all queued reporting events to
the server immediately
--
Sachin Nagpal
Sachin Nagpal's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/158117.htm

http://forums.techarena.in
ckilmer75
2010-05-07 16:45:08 UTC
I found this on another site:

Reposting for you guys.
***
From a dump of the .exe (W2k3 R2 version ) we can extract the followin
/DetectNow
/ReportNow
/RunHandlerComServer
/RunStoreAsComServer
/ShowSettingsDialog
/ResetAuthorization
/ResetEulas
/ShowWU
/ShowWindowsUpdate
/SelfUpdateManaged
/SelfUpdateUnmanaged
/UpdateNow
/ShowWUAutoScan
/ShowFeaturedUpdates
/ShowOptions
/ShowFeaturedOptInDialog
/DemoUI

Most of these options don't give any noticable response, but that may b
because of the state of the service.
The command 'wuauclt /ResetAuthorization /DetectNow' worked for me righ
away.
***
Hope this help

--
ckilmer7
ckilmer75's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/217633.ht

http://forums.techarena.i
ckilmer75

http://forums.techarena.i
Lawrence Garvin [MVP]
2010-05-08 02:30:52 UTC
Most of these options don't give any noticable response, but that may be
because of the state of the service.
Or because there's no code behind the switches.

There *is* a reason the options are not documented!
The command 'wuauclt /ResetAuthorization /DetectNow' worked for me right
away.
Yes, this is one of only *three* functional command options.

The other two are:

wuauclt /detectnow

and

wuauclt /reportnow
Hope this helps
Not really. It's ancient information and you're replying to an ancient
thread.
--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA

ckilmer75
2010-05-08 12:24:05 UTC
No need to need to be a troll. A simple explanation would have sufficed
without being a jerk. I simply reposted some info I found on another
site while researching the same topic as I just learned about the
command the other day. If you make yourself feel better by making
others feel inferior to you, then I hope you find something better to do
with your life.
--
ckilmer75
ckilmer75's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/217633.htm

http://forums.techarena.in
Lawrence Garvin [MVP]
2010-05-08 15:30:16 UTC
No need to need to be a troll. A simple explanation would have sufficed
without being a jerk. I simply reposted some info I found on another
site while researching the same topic as I just learned about the
command the other day.
Trust me.. I'm not the troll. But the *information* is five years old and
it's every bit as invalid today as it was when it was first posted by the
person who thought something useful was being posted the first time. If
somebody had pointed out in the source where you got this bad information
that it was bad information, perhaps you would not have been so excited to
post whereever else you might have posted it. Now, in this thread, that's
been done, and hopefully another novice WSUS admin won't use this thread to
proliferate this bad information other places.
If you make yourself feel better by making
others feel inferior to you, then I hope you find something better to do
with your life.
I'm not trying to make anybody feel inferior.. I'm merely suggesting (and
perhaps in a poor manner) that you ought to read the thread, notice the
datestamps, and *research* the situation before you offer up the dozenth
repost of the same useless information. The lesson to be learned is to not
blindly repost information you "find on the net", until you've verified it's
accuracy and value.

Perhaps, even, if you had *asked* if it was valid information, rather than
posting as if it were . . . ???
--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA