WSUS 0x8024400A Error on Some Clients
Jeff Lynch
2006-07-19 20:52:51 UTC
We have six Windows Server 2003 clients which are not updating properly in
WSUS. The log file shows the following errors.

WARNING: GetCookie failure, error = 0x8024400A, soap client error = 10, soap
error code = 0, HTTP status code = 200

WARNING: Sync of Updates: 0x8024400a

* WARNING: Failed to synchronize, error = 0x8024400A

Any idea how to fix this?
--
Jeff Lynch
MVP Windows Server System - Commerce Server
http://codebetter.com/blogs/jeff.lynch
Lawrence Garvin (MVP)
2006-07-19 21:45:58 UTC
Post by Jeff Lynch
We have six Windows Server 2003 clients which are not updating properly in
WSUS. The log file shows the following errors.
WARNING: GetCookie failure, error = 0x8024400A, soap client error = 10,
soap error code = 0, HTTP status code = 200
WARNING: Sync of Updates: 0x8024400a
* WARNING: Failed to synchronize, error = 0x8024400A
Any idea how to fix this?
--
Jeff Lynch
MVP Windows Server System - Commerce Server
http://codebetter.com/blogs/jeff.lynch
Hey Jeff!

A Google Groups search on the error code should turn up about a dozen
threads all with the same, correct, fix. The problem is caused by an
unpredictable and intermittent conflict between IIS 6 (on Win2003SP1) and
http.sys.

Refer to this KB article for information
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=898708
and the usual instructions to contact MS PSS for a hotfix.

Also, not documented in the KB article, or in any instructions from MS PSS,
is that you'll need to reboot the /clients/ after applying the hotfix to the
server.

Don't know why... just seems to be the need. :-/
--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MVP-Software Distribution
Everything you need for WSUS is at
Jeff Lynch
2006-07-20 12:51:46 UTC
Lawrence,

Thanks for the lead and additional information. I did find this error fix
during my searching and applied the hotfix to our WSUS server but I didn't
reboot the clients. I'll reboot each and see what happens.

Thanks from one MVP to another!
ineptie
2006-09-20 18:08:01 UTC
I have exactly the same problem.. did install the hotfix...
And rebooted the clients... still doesnt work ...
WSUS is on Win2003 R2 SP1...

Also i've did all the client reset procedure I could find we no success...

Any idea ? Is the hotfix not working because i'm on R2 ?

Thanks
David
Lawrence Garvin (MVP)
2006-09-20 22:30:33 UTC
Post by ineptie
I have exactly the same problem.. did install the hotfix...
And rebooted the clients... still doesnt work ...
WSUS is on Win2003 R2 SP1...
Also i've did all the client reset procedure I could find we no success...
Any idea ? Is the hotfix not working because i'm on R2 ?
Thanks
David
How about we start from scratch, in a NEW thread, rather than posting to
this ANCIENT thread.

Post the relevant portion of the WindowsUpdate.log showing the error
occurring after the application of the hotfix and the client reboot.

Also, run the Client Diagnostic Tool and post the output from that.
jizzai
2008-01-27 22:41:37 UTC
Post by Jeff Lynch
We have six Windows Server 2003 clients which are not updating properl
in
WSUS. The log file shows the following errors.
WARNING: GetCookie failure, error = 0x8024400A, soap client error = 10
soap
error code = 0, HTTP status code = 200
WARNING: Sync of Updates: 0x8024400a
* WARNING: Failed to synchronize, error = 0x8024400A
Any idea how to fix this?
--
Jeff Lynch
MVP Windows Server System - Commerce Server
http://codebetter.com/blogs/jeff.lynch
I know this thread is old but it took me a while to find this fix an
thought I should share it somewhere.

Hopefully you found this fix in the past year.

Run these commands on the client(s) with the error (in a batch file i
you like).

NET STOP WUAUSERV
REGSVR32 /S WUAPI.DLL
REGSVR32 /S WUPS.DLL
REGSVR32 /S WUAUENG.DLL
REGSVR32 /S WUAUENG1.DLL
REGSVR32 /S WUCLTUI.DLL
REGSVR32 /S WUWEB.DLL
REGSVR32 /S JSCRIPT.DLL
REGSVR32 /S ATL.DLL
REGSVR32 /S SOFTPUB.DLL
REGSVR32 /S MSXML3.DLL
NET START WUAUSER

To force detection:
WUAUCLT /DETECTNO

I found this information on a dutch website and they mentioned you ma
have to run this 3 times.

It worked for me first go.

Our WSUS is running on Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition SP2.

The problem client was Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise x64 Editio
SP2.

We had just installed this 64bit server and no other clients have ha
any problems at all.

source: http://tinyurl.com/2fcty

--
jizza